Friday February 15th
Why Knot Kwilt
It's been an week of lovely new projects being revealed each day. For those who wish to go back and see what has been revealed all week, the full schedule can be found by following this Hugs & Kisses button...
And now on to my heartfelt journey... It all started when I received the email informing me that I would be included in the Hugs & Kisses blog hop. EXCITED!!!! My first thought was to find all of my pinks and reds that have been bagged up and traveled across the country with me from California to Kansas last year when I moved. This would, indeed, be a scrappy project made entirely out of my stash. I knew they were lurking, I just wasn't sure where. After some hunting and sorting through boxes and bags, I found four baggies of reds and pinks left over from various projects.
As I started sorting them out, I found there were strips of various widths in several fabrics I wanted to include. I also had a lovely red on white fat quarter that I thought would be a perfect backing if I could keep the project to that size. I started pulling strips out of the pile, cutting the wider ones down and cutting a few more out of various scraps so they were all 2" wide, and began piecing a heart together. I also found a small baggie full of wings that had been cut off of red and white flying geese from a project I made four years ago. I was sure I'd use them someday. And someday finally came! Woohoo! These were little triangles, so I worked hard at getting them sewn together with just an 1/8" seam--much more and there wouldn't have been anything left of the blocks to use!
Next I went back to sewing the 2" strips together to finish the central pieced heart. I got a little crazy adding strips and actually had three more rows than I wanted, making it an elongated heart that just didn't look right. So, I took out my ripper and started removing rows, which was more complicated than I had planned since they were added by units of two. Another night spent playing with the design. And three rows of pieced blocks for another someday project were added to the scrap bag that doesn't seem to be getting emptier. Hmmm... How does that happen?
Finally, I had the central heart done, had added the framing strips and mini-border, and then started playing with all those little red and white blocks. Amazingly there was an even number of them, so I sewed them together to make mock-flying geese by seaming the red sides together, again with 1/8" seams, and then made two strips of mock-flying geese to put on the sides.
In one of the bags I had found some vintage Valentine fabric that I had received in a class scrap exchange and there was just enough to fussy cut the boy and girl in the hearts with accompanying words to add to the side borders.
Then it was on to figuring out how I wanted to quilt it. I went through my EQ Quilting Designs and found a beautiful feathered heart and, after several test prints, got the sizing right to fit perfectly within the pieced central heart. I selected a beautiful medium orchid #2479 from the Aurifil 50 Silk Hearts collection that blended well with the patchwork heart, and continued with the white Aurifil 50 that I had used for piecing to quilt the background cross-hatching and to use in the bobbin.
I pinned on my foundation paper pattern and started stitching on the lines.
Once the stitching was complete, then came the fun (not always) process of removing the foundation paper. Luckily my FMQ practice is paying off and I'm getting smaller, more uniform stitches that make it easier for the paper to tear away without deforming the stitches. Once complete, the center of the heart was a little puffy, so I added three free motion ribbon tendrils to the center, coming up from the bottom center of the feathered heart, as well as a little spiral stamen coming out of the tulip bottom into the point of the heart.
I continued on by cross-hatching the white on white pin dot background around the heart and used the medium orchid again to quilt a lovely heart chain stencil around the 1" finished borders. The final step was binding it with the same pink as the outer border.
It has been such great fun creating this project for the Hugs & Kisses blog hop! I hope you have enjoyed the week of great projects! I know I have!
As others have mentioned, I, too, enjoy making things with hearts and have a few other projects to share...
Thank you again to Madame Samm and Jane for sponsoring and cheering us on this week for the wonderful Hugs & Kisses blog hop!
More snippets from the sewing room soon,