|A single repeat of the uncut Wanderlust fabric.|
|Cutting 3-1/2" strips of the six repeats across the 18" width of the panel.|
|Cutting 60 degree triangles from the strips, setting them aside in their sets of 6 pinned together for later sewing.|
|Remaining sets of 6 triangles pinned together and ready to start sewing!|
Excited by what we had just seen, I started sewing pairs together right away. I took each set of 6 triangles and sewed two pairs together--string piecing continuously, setting the remaining 2 triangles aside to later add to each pair to create the half hexies. Most of the triangle sets were sewed together the same direction they were cut; although, there were a few that I rotated to create a different look. Testing out layout options before sewing took place at the machine before stitching the pairs together.
|Testing the layout for orientation before sewing pairs together, string piecing through the whole stack.|
As I started laying out the hexies into a color flow, I took a few pictures to post in the OBW Forum on FB. There were many comments and the ones that drew my attention were from members who suggested incorporating the uncut panel into the layout. Normally I would add a piece of the original fabric as a border, but with the panel that didn't make sense. I took the suggestions and started to play even more, returning to the shop to get a 7th repeat of the fabric to use uncut in some way.
|The first attempt at incorporating the panel into the OBW layout.|
|Option 1: Adding blue sky fabric to complete the hexies and frame the panel.|
|Option 2: Removing the blue within the layout and adding a narrow red border around panel.|
|Sewing half hexies together into long rows as the top progresses.|
|Pressing long seams open of the main hexie section before attaching to panel.|
|Detail of the orange peel quilting on every seam of each hexie of the OBW.|
|A boxy meander, with the Eiffel Tower detail outlined, was quilted on the panel.|
|I love the look of the quilting from the back of a quilt!|
|Trimming after the quilting was complete.|
I delivered "Wanderlust" to the shop on Tuesday afternoon where the shop owner greeted me with raves of how great the quilt had turned out! Finishing at 44" x 60", I'm considering this my first art quilt and plan to make many more. Wanderlust will be entered in the Lyon and Douglas County fairs, as well as the Kansas State Fair this summer. I'm also exploring the possibility of entering this quilt in a quilt show competition.
The first cuts were made on Saturday, March 28 and the final stitches went into the binding on Tuesday, April 7, just 9 days later. It may not seem like a long time to most, but I know it would have been completed much faster had I not been at the Sweet Sixteen for 4-6 hours per day working simultaneously on quilting our guild's opportunity quilt. I hope you've enjoyed this journey through the making of Wanderlust, a One Block Wonder art quilt.
More snippets from the sewing room soon,