Friday, February 1, 2013

FMQ Friday Update--Practice feathered heart

After Jacob went home today I got busy and managed to get a feathered heart stitched out on a practice square. It came out pretty good, especially since I haven't done any of these in quite some time. I selected the one I wanted from my stencil collection in EQ7 Quilting Design Series, printed it out to the size I wanted, pinned the paper design to the sandwich, and started stitching. I managed consistent small stitches so the paper tore away easily once the stitching was done. I think for my project that I'm practicing for I'll use a solid red Aurifil 50 thread rather than the variegated version I selected. With the overlaps, this doesn't look as clean to me. Good thing I practiced!
For the practice one I just printed on computer paper. It works fine, but can stress the stitches when you tear it away even if being very careful. For the project I have printed the design on Carol Doak's foundation paper, which is very lightweight and is easy to remove after stitching. Now to start on the real one!

Still hooking up with Leah Day's FMQ Friday. Once again, Happy Friday!

More snippets from the sewing room soon,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Love the design. I would really like to try EQ7 but I use a Mac. Maybe someday! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! I've had fun with EQ7, but know there's worlds of stuff that I have no idea how to do with it. Someday maybe I'll learn more. I'll be printing off more feathers to quilt in a border this weekend for my sister-in-law's comfort quilt. Have to get it down and out to CA asap so she has it to take to her first chemo which is coming up fast.

      I used to be a Mac person, but once I started taking online classes for my BA, at least in the early days, the interface was only PC-based so I made the switch. Never did go back--too much invested in fun software with EQ7 and a whole CustomWorks suite for embroidery. Let's hope that "someday" comes for you as it's really fun to play with!
      Liz

      Delete