|My grandson and his grampa, both over 6' tall, had to stretch to hold it up for pictures!|
Ever since I showed the Maple Leaf Quilt Guild in Baldwin City, Kansas, my Solstice Moonrise quilt top (made from Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice 2013 mystery quilt pattern) early in 2014, they were in love with it! In fact, so much so that they voted me to be in charge of making the 2015 opportunity quilt in that pattern. Typically this is a group project done by several members of the guild; however, with so many subunits needing to fit together to make the larger blocks, I chose to move forward doing all of the sewing myself.
|Solstice Moonrise, a variation of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice, 2013 Mystery Quilt|
To help streamline the process, I increased the size of the blocks from 9" to 12" and substituted the pinwheels with fall leaves fabrics to simplify it a little. By making the blocks bigger, I could grow it to queen size without having to increase the number of blocks needed. Members of the guild donated fabrics in the fall leaves color palette so I could get started. Some were scraps, since Bonnie Hunter's quilts are typically quite scrappy, while others donated fat quarter bundles that could be used. I started in sitting in front of my TV watching hours of movies, reruns, and 2014 March Madness college hoops while making 4-patches, tri-recs, chevrons, and flying goose units so I could begin assembling blocks.
|String piecing chevron halves|
|Adding the corners to flying goose units|
|Chevrons are assembled and ready to go!|
|Checking fabrics to see if colors played well.|
|New greens play much better with the other colors!|
Initially the fall leaves (pictured on the left) was my favorite, but somehow it seemed washed out. When Cathy suggested the sunflowers and fruits, everything popped! So, fabric was purchased by the guild to do the borders, a wide backing in brown was selected, and off I went to add the borders and get ready to pin the sandwich for quilting.
|Moving furniture back or out of the room, I managed to make room to pin on my living room floor!|
|And the super-queen is ready to be pinned!|
At last the fun began! Straight lines in the chevrons were done using a ruler to get nice straight lines. The spacing isn't exact, but once done it looked really good. Gaining confidence by doing the straight lines in the border first, then I jumped into the body of the quilt next.
|Custom label printed on ink-jet ready fabric and colored with gel pens|
|The guys had to hang it sideways to get a picture--too long to hang full length!|
More snippets from the sewing room soon,